Using Your California Medical Marijuana Recommendation
- Download the pdf of your Doctor’s recommendation letter from your Leafwell patient dashboard.
- Save it to your cell phone.
3. You can start using this electronic copy immediately at a licensed medical dispensary*. You will receive a hard copy of your recommendation letter and, if you selected our $59 plan, a ‘Physician Issued’ Leafwell card in the mail within 14 business days.
*Please note that a recreational dispensary may not accept the electronic recommendation and may require a hard copy letter.
Once you receive your hard copy recommendation, you can then legally purchase medical marijuana from any licensed dispensary. To purchase medical marijuana you will need to bring a hard copy of your Leafwell Doctor’s recommendation letter or your ‘Physician Issued’ Leafwell card, and a valid form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license, with you to the dispensary.
OPTIONAL: Register for the CA MMIC program at your local county office.
The state registration is completely optional. This allows you to obtain a “STATE ISSUED” card.
- You will not have to pay sales and use tax when making retail medical marijuana purchases.
- An Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC) identifies you as protected under Proposition 215 and Senate Bill 94.
- An MMIC helps law enforcement identify you as being legally allowed to possess certain amounts of cannabis under specific conditions.
- These vary county to county but the maximum you can be charged is $100.
- A 50% fee reduction is issued per card if you are eligible for Medi-Cal.
- Fees are waived for indigent patients who are eligible for, and participate in, the Country Medical Services Program.
- This process requires an in person application at your county office.
- You will receive an official “State Issued” card, and any dispensary or law enforcement agency can verify your patient number online immediately.
- It is your option to designate a primary caregiver and apply for their identification card at the time you submit your application.
- You will need to provide your certifying physician's information (provided on the PDF emailed to you after the appointment) as well as which board certified them:
Dr. Reiser - Medical Board of California
Dr. Keyser - Medical Board of California
Dr. Steinhardt - Medical Board of California
Dr. Niles - Medical Board of California
Dr. Bornfriend - Medical Board of California