Yes, medical marijuana patients in Iowa can have a caregiver. Caregivers will complete their own application and must also be listed on the patient's Healthcare Practitioner Certification form.
Be listed on the Healthcare Practitioner Certification form as the designated primary caregiver.
Be at least 18 years of age.
Be a resident of Iowa or a bordering state (Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, or Wisconsin).
If caring for more than one patient, you must submit a separate application for each patient.
To apply as a caregiver, follow this process:
You will need your associated patient’s completed Healthcare Practitioner Certification form with you listed as a caregiver on page 1.
Click on the Online Caregiver Registration button found on this page.
Select if you are a new or renewing caregiver.
- If renewing, you'll be asked for your registration number and email address. The registration number can be found on your previously issued card.
- Select if you are applying as a caregiver for a minor or adult patient.
- If for an adult patient, your associated patient must have a currently issued card for you to be approved. You'll be asked to provide their registration number on the application.
- If for a minor patient, they do not need to apply as a patient. You will be issued a card on their behalf when approved.
- Fill out the online application.
- If applying to be a caregiver for an adult patient, you'll enter their registration number on the application.
- If applying to be a caregiver for a minor patient, you'll have a section to complete their demographic information.
- Upload required images.
- The patient's completed healthcare practitioner form with you listed as a primary caregiver on page 1.
- A photo of the front of your valid driver's license or state-issued non-operator's ID.
- Electronically sign the attestation and submit.
- Once you click submit, an attestation statement will appear. Enter the same email you used on the application, and check the box to complete the electronic signature.
- Complete your payment.
- After signing the attestation and submitting you'll be directed to a payment screen to pay the $25 caregiver registration fee.
- When your application is reviewed you will receive an email stating that you are either approved or pending information.
- If Approved, you'll receive an approval email with your valid digital card attached as a PDF. Your permanent card will be mailed to the address on your application.
- If Pending Information, you'll receive an email stating which items are missing, and you can upload the missing items or make a payment using a link in that email.