Congratulations on getting approved for your medical certification. Here's a guide to what you need to do next.
After you've been approved, you will receive your Healthcare Practitioner Certification Form via email, and then you can apply to the state. This process is the same for new and renewal patients.
Before you start, have the following ready:
- Photo ID (Iowa Driver's License or Non-operator State ID)
- Healthcare Practitioner Certification Form (emailed to you from Leafwell)
- Debit card, credit card, or e-check
- Proof of eligibility for reduced fee, if applicable
Getting your Iowa medical marijuana card:
The state recommends using Chrome, Safari, and Edge as your browser.
- Go to the Iowa Medical Cannabis website and click “Online Patient Registration.”
- Select if you are a new or renewing patient.
- If you are renewing, you will be asked to provide your registration number and email address. Your registration number can be found on your previous card. You will want to use the same email you used the previous year.
- Fill out the online application. Double-check for errors with your name, date of birth, and driver’s license number before submission.
- Upload the required documents. The document upload buttons are further down on the adult patient application. Click the “choose file” buttons to select and upload your file.
- Once you click submit, an attestation statement will appear. Enter the same email you used on the application, and check the box to complete the electronic signature and submit.
- Complete your payment.
- When your application is reviewed you will receive an email stating whether your application is approved or pending information.
- If approved, you will receive an approval email with your valid digital card attached as a PDF.
- If pending information, you will receive an email stating which items are missing. Use the link in that email to either upload missing items or complete payment.