Yes, medical marijuana patients in Mississippi can have a caregiver. Caregivers must apply after being designated by a patient who is already approved for the program.
At least 21 years of age (unless the person is the parent or legal guardian of each qualifying patient the person assists).
Caregiver applicants are prohibited from having a disqualifying felony offense.
Background checks are required for caregivers. Background check information can be found here.
- $25 nonrefundable application fee and $37 criminal background check fee.
Assists no more than five (5) registered qualifying patients (certain exceptions).
Caregivers for minor patients MUST be the child’s primary custodial parent or legal guardian. Documentation of custody will need to be uploaded with the caregiver application in the form of a birth certificate or legal documents designating custody.
In the event that an applicant is applying to become a registered designated caregiver for a qualified patient who is a minor and the caregiver applicant is not the patient’s parent and/or legal guardian, the caregiver applicant must also submit an authorization from the patient’s parent and/or legal guardian to serve in a caregiver capacity.
Here's how to apply as a caregiver:
- You must be designated as a caregiver by a patient who is already approved for the program before completing your caregiver application. You must complete and upload an Affidavit for Medical Cannabis Work Permits & Caregivers and Designation of Caregiver Form with your application.
- Go to the Mississippi industry portal and register for a user account. If you are a renewing caregiver, sign back into your account and skip to step 7.
- Fill out the provided form completely. Be sure to select the caregiver application option and that your information is correct before registering as changes cannot be made in the future.
- Read the Terms and Conditions and check the box. Click I’m not a robot, follow the prompts, and click Register.
- Once the registration information is submitted, confirm your email address by clicking the link sent to your inbox. You will not be able to log in until you verify your email address.
- Once your email is verified, log back in.
- Click the +Create New Application link.
- Click the ‘I am a’ drop drown box and choose ‘Caregiver’. If you are a new caregiver, select ‘New Caregiver Registration’. If you are renewing an application, select ‘Caregiver Renewal’. Click ‘Create Application’.
- Begin filling in details on the General Information tab. Enter First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, Social Security Number, Email, and Phone Number.
- Click the “Save and Next” button to save the edited data fields and complete the rest of the tabs.
- As your application is nearing completion, navigate to the Review tab to verify all required items are completed. If you see any red X’s, you’ll need to go back to the applicable tab to complete the missing items.
- Once your application is submitted, it will be available for review by Mississippi Medical Cannabis Program personnel. Please be sure to monitor your inbox for updates as your application is reviewed. If there are issues with your application, it may be rejected. You will receive an email notification when this occurs. Rejected applications must be corrected and resubmitted through NLS.