Can I be/have a caregiver for a medical marijuana patient in Puerto Rico?

Yes, the Puerto Rico medical marijuana program allows for caregivers, but they are called Authorized Companions instead of caregivers. 

Caregivers of children under 18 may access medical cannabis in Puerto Rico for their children as long as both parents or guardians are in agreement.


Caregiver Requirements:

  • At least 21 years old and a resident of Puerto Rico.

  • A valid form of ID (driver's license, passport, or out-of-state ID).

  • Caregiver’s Certification of Criminal Records expedited by the PR police department (no longer than 3 months).

  • Caregivers can also be patients. They can possess the permitted amount to use and must separate each patient's amount/product.

  • $44.95 nonrefundable fee.

Here's how the caregiver process works:

  1. The patient will need to submit their state application (Paciente Adulto) first.

    1. If the patient is a minor, complete a Paciente Mendor de Edad application.
      1. The parent must provide a valid form of ID for the minor (birth certificate or passport) and themselves. If the parent is a minor, they have to provide a copy of a marriage certificate or proof of emancipation; otherwise, they cannot become a caregiver.
      2. The parent or legal guardian must also provide a written statement that explains the reason(s) why the minor needs medical cannabis and two recommendation letters from two different medical providers. At this time, Leafwell can only provide one of the two recommendations needed to apply.
  1. Once the patient's application has been submitted, the caregiver must complete a caregiver application (Licencia Acompañante). The caregiver will need the patient's SSN to link their account to the patient's.

  2. When the caregiver's application is approved, they will receive an Authorized Companion ID Card (Identificación de Acompañante Autorizado).