Congratulations on getting approved for your medical certification.
You do not need to apply to the state as of 1st July, 2022.
However, you may choose to do so to obtain a digital card. It is optional, however.
If you're an existing medical card holder, click here for renewal instructions.
Before you start, have these supporting documents ready:
- Your certification from the Leafwell physician in PDF form
- Proof of residency (and proof of residency for a parent or legal guardian if applicable)
- ID (and ID for the parent or legal guardian if applicable)
- Must be a government-issued ID Card
- Proof of age
- Birth certificate or government-issued ID
- Note: A valid Virginia Driver’s License can act as proof of residency and ID combined.
Getting Your Virginia Medical Marijuana Card
- Go to the Virginia State website - https://www.license.dhp.virginia.gov/apply/ - and either log into an existing account or create a new one by clicking “Register a Person”
- To create a new account, you’ll need your social security number
- Select Initial Application from the left menu then on the Application for Licensure screen:
- From the Profession dropdown, select Pharmaceutical Processing
- If you are the patient (individual) applying for registration, select Medical Cannabis Patient from the License Type dropdown.
- If you are the parent or legal guardian of the patient who is a minor, select Medical Cannabis - Parent Guardian from the License Type dropdown. Once you have completed this application you must also complete the Medical Cannabis Patient application for the patient. The primary parent/guardian of the minor must complete this.
- If you are the caregiver of an incapacitated adult, select Registered Agent for Medical Cannabis. Once you have completed this application you must also complete the Medical Cannabis Patient application for the patient. The primary caregiver for an incapacitated adult who resides with the patient must complete this.
- Select Initial Application from the Obtained By dropdown
- Click the Start Application button.
- Select Initial Application from the Obtained By dropdown. Click the Start Application button.
- Complete the registration process and pay the fee: $50 for patients; $25 for parent/legal guardian.
- Scan and email, fax, or mail the following documentation to the board at the address below for the application to be considered complete:
- A copy of Leafwell Doctor’s certification;
- Proof of your residency and proof of residency of a parent or legal guardian, if applicable, such as a government-issued identification card or tax receipt;
- Proof of identity, and if the patient is a minor, proof of identity of the parent or legal guardian in the form of a government-issued identification card;
- Proof of your age in the form of a birth certification or other government-issued identification.
- NOTE: A valid Virginia Driver’s License will fulfill the requirements for proof of age, identity, and residency.
Virginia Board of Pharmacy Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300 Henrico, VA 23233
Fax: (804) 527-4472
- Should the Board of Pharmacy require any additional information to process the application, you will be notified by email. Please ensure that you enter your email address accurately into the application.
- Please allow 60 business days for the Board of Pharmacy to process the registration application. Once issued, you will receive an official email from the state that contains your digital card.
- Legally purchase medical marijuana products
- Once you have received your digital state-issued card you are ready to purchase products from a licensed medical cannabis pharmacy.
- To purchase medical cannabis, you must bring your digital state-issued medical cannabis card and a valid form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license and a copy of your Leafwell doctor's recommendation with you to the pharmacy.
Additional Instructions can be found here.